Thursday, May 18, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Ted Hughes

I've been looking through some older work and I've always quite liked the feel of this piece. It makes me think of howling winds and suits the stormy weather we've been having. The poem makes me shiver...


Wind

This house has been far out at sea all night,
The woods crashing through darkness, the booming hills,
Winds stampeding the fields under the window
Floundering black astride and blinding wet

Till day rose; then under an orange sky
The hills had new places, and wind wielded
Blade-light, luminous black and emerald,
Flexing like the lens of a mad eye.

At noon I scaled along the house-side as far as
The coal-house door. I dared once to look up --
Through the brunt wind that dented the balls of my eyes
The tent of the hills drummed and strained its guyrope,

The fields quivering, the skyline a grimace,
At any second to bang and vanish with a flap;
The wind flung a magpie away and a black-
Back gull bent like an iron bar slowly. The house

Rang like some fine green goblet in the note
That any second would shatter it. Now deep
In chairs, in front of the great fire, we grip
Our hearts and cannot entertain book, thought,

Or each other. We watch the fire blazing,
And feel the roots of the house move, but sit on,
Seeing the window tremble to come in,
Hearing the stones cry out under the horizons.

~ Ted Hughes

11 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

The artwork went perfectly with this piece. I loved this poem. I felt the wind just reading it.

Welcome :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a powerful poem.

We watch the fire blazing,And feel the roots of the house move, but sit on,
Seeing the window tremble to come in,
Hearing the stones cry out under the horizons.
Wow - I love this!

Amazing illustrations as well, you and your sister have such tremendous talent and the bond you share is such a precious gift.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Abigail. I was just visiting at your sister's blog as I do most everyday and I found her introduction for you. I'm Annie in California USA dropping in to say hello. I very much like the blue and eerie mood of your Thursday picture. Welcome to Blogworld. I started mine three months ago and life hasn't been the same since.

kelly rae said...

oh, i love the poem and your work is amazing!

Deirdre said...

This is a powerful piece. Thanks for sharing it. And welcome to you, Susannah's sister! I hope you enjoy this amazing community.

lovewhatido said...

welcome aboard the blog-ship!
i love your paintings.
~j

Susannah Conway said...

"The woods crashing through darkness, the booming hills' - i love this poem... and as for the painting - it's one of my favourites! i want to see more :-)
Sxx

boho girl said...

"the fields quivering"...

mmmmm. brilliant descriptions.

another gorgeous painting.

xoxoxo,
boho

Madeleine said...

hey Abs,

It was so lovely to see one of your many beautiful paintings-can we see more please?

Your Blog looks lovely, and it's great to see it.
look forward to seeing you in Dublin!

mad x

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful style!
I will come back often. Lovely!

Natalie said...

Hi Abby, Natalie here (Mad's sister). I just checked out your blog following the link on Sue's page, and I loved your illustration - it really is fantastic. And a great poem to go with. You're so talented! Lots of love xxx