Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Inspiration

'Fireflies' by Penelope Dullaghan

What a trying day it's been. I have spent all my energy trying to inspire my students, and mostly it went well. There was however one who became quite aggressive in his response to my constructive comments. On a normal day this would not upset me, but confrontation was the last thing I needed today, and sadly it really affected me. I love teaching, and enjoy a challenge, but there are days when I wonder...

To my delight I got home, after a long drive in the rain, and discovered the print that I ordered from Penelope had arrived at my doorstep. It is beautiful. I'm always keen to see how she is progressing as an illustrator, her blog is an inspiration to me in this time of self evaluation and change. I long to re-invent myself every five minutes, but even more just to be able to enjoy being creative again.


When it comes to inspiration the one who does it for me every day is my sister. From the moment I was born she has been one step ahead of me, treading the path first to make sure it is safe for me to follow. She tried things and convinced me not to, she has bravely gone through experiences that I have learnt from and she has always supported me through the choices I have made. I followed her to art college, as her little shadow. It's great now to see how different we are and yet how similar at our core. As I read the words she writes I am inspired ever more, I am so proud of her. So the first person I rang after my testing day, yup my big sister, for soothing words and the pep talk that I needed... Love you sis x

10 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

You are my bestfriend, lil sis, you know that don't you. It is such a priviledge to be your sister - i think we've got the the stage in our lives now where we learn from *each other*...
Sxx

Caroline said...

hello from another Bristol blogger!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

My first time here; loved the photos and the art. You and your sister have a wonderful bond; color me envious.

M said...

This is my first time here as well- welcome to the blogging world! I love your artwork that I've seen on your sis' blog and your site- you are truly gifted.
Can't wait to read more!

Amber said...

Welcome to the blogesphere! It is a beautiful out-reach, I have found. I wish you connection and inpiration for your talent!

:)

boho girl said...

i sincerely understand the deep connection between sisters.

i am the baby sister of two older ones and it has been lovely to watch the journey from being in their shadows to creating our own paths.

sorry about your rough day. i am sending you a big warm hug from California. we give warm, sunshiney hugs here.

xoxoxo,
boho

Anonymous said...

Missus Abigail Blog, I presume! Miss Susannah Blog let me know that you were cutting a rug in the blogsphere. So I had to log on to read! Beautiful words to go with your beautiful illustrations. May the blog be with you....Axxxx

Deb R said...

My first time here too. Susannah sent me. Pleased to "meet" you!

meghan said...

hi there! Welcome! I am glad your sister sent me over. Your blog is lovely and intriguing - can't wait to see what else you do!

abby said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for such a warm welcome, I look forward to visiting your blogs too... x