Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Sprinkle of Confidence


I did it... I got the job. I had an interview on Tuesday for some new teaching work. It is at a very good university, the one I graduated from nearly ten years ago in fact. I went along with a porfolio of my work and some examples of the kind of briefs I set and a few butterflies in my stomach.

It couldn't have gone better. All my fears went as we chatted about illustration and teaching. My confidence and enthusiasm shone through and I was offered the job on the spot. In fact I was offered a much more significant position than I expected and am excited about getting started. It was such a thrill to finally have someone recognise my potential and abilities as a teacher. The college I have been working for over the last nine years has never done this. Though I have the best immediate boss on one of the courses, Louise is a lovely friend and full of the enthusiasm and imagination that could make the course great.

It's always worth working hard for something, and what we learn in the struggle can make us stronger. I am glad to finally make some progress. For the first time in my life I believe that I am truly happy. I am myself, warts and all, I am not trying to be anyone else, to live my life through stories, through my family, through a man. I am full of joy in work and friendship and love, and I send some out into the universe. Make a wish... Believe...

9 comments:

M said...

Congratulations!! That's so exciting! you definitely deserve to be recognized and supported as the gifted artist you are. I hope it all works out for you!

Darlene said...

Oh Abigail!!! Congratulations!!!

I do believe and I'll receive anything 'talented you' are sending out.

Yeah!!!

My wish?...That you will have the time of your life at your new job :)

((hug)) Darlene xx

boho girl said...

Abs!!

This is great news and so much fun to see another brilliantly beautiful Illo here.

I do hope we get to hear of this new fantastic journey of yours. They are blessed to have you and your students will be inspired.

Love to you,
Boho

Susannah Conway said...

I am so proud of you lil sis - not only for getting the job, which i know you will be brilliant at, but also for the progress you are making - finding what makes you happy, and *recognising* it and enjoying it. finding the quiet space within you, and discovering the beauty it contains. i love you so much i could burst :-)
xxx

Colorsonmymind said...

Congrats!

What a wonderful feeling it must be, to have it all click so perfectly. Thank you for the message at the end.

It is exactly what I needed to be reminded of at this moment.

I am so happy for you.

XOXO

Madeleine said...

abba dabba, this is soooo cool. Sue told me about this the other day and i'm so happy for you. we all see the talent in you and it's good to see the others can,too!!!

well done!!!

Rachel said...

Well done Abs, I am chuffed as nuts for you, the job, the hopes, it all.
The new beginning, of something great.
Big love

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog through Mad's blog. Your illustrations are terrific! Love the bunny and the "Cry Wolf" illustrations. Congratulations on your new job!

Mimey said...

Well done, hope you make the most of the new opportunities, I love a fresh start.